Saturday, July 19, 2014

Homemade Vanilla Icecream

      I love ice cream but it doesn't like me. I really get bloated after eating it. I believe I am dairy sensitive. Since  making my own yogurt and cultured veggies for over a year now, my gut has been doing better. I bought an ice cream maker about 2 years ago at Goodwill and never used it. Well, I finally got it out but had no idea how ice cream is made. I went online looking for videos on how to use it. I couldn't find any for this particular sunbeam model, so I followed the directions in the book. I  used the old fashioned recipe for ice cream and I was quite surprised at how well it turned out.
Here is the recipe I used for a Sunbeam Electric Ice cream maker model GC8101



 1/2 cup sugar
dash of salt
1 cup whole milk
1 egg beaten
1 cup  whipping cream
2 t pure vanilla extract

Wrap the canister part of the ice cream maker in a plastic bag and place upright in the back of your freezer overnight, where the temperature is the coldest. There is liquid in between the canister walls, so shake the canister to check to make sure you do not hear liquid moving within the walls after freezing.

Combine sugar, salt and milk in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture almost boils. Reduced heat to low.
Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of hot milk into the beaten eggs. Add eggs to remaining hot mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Combine whipping cream, vanilla and chilled mixture, stirring with a wire whisk to combine.

Remove canister from freezer and attach it to the motor and paddle part. Turn motor on to check to see if paddle is moving clockwise.
Pour the ice cream mixture through the mixing feeder in the canister.  Leave it on for 20-40 minutes as it churns. Turn switch off when you reach your desired consistency.


No comments:

Post a Comment