Thursday, November 27, 2014

Breakfast Casserole

There is so much cooking to do before Thanksgiving. I usually plan it out the week before what I'm going to make. Then I make a couple of lists including  a cooking prep list, a decorating list, a grocery list, a menu list with all the recipes together and a timer list of what goes in the oven and at what time. I know it sounds like a lot, but it helps me stay on track, because I can get distracted with my husband and kids if they are here. This year we will have my daughter Joy, her husband Tim and new baby James. My dad and his girlfriend and my brother will also join us. My 3 other kids along with there spouses will not be present this year. Boo hoo.
Because there is so much cooking to do, I decided to prepare a breakfast casserole the night before and bake it in the morning and voila breakfast is served without all the fuss of making it. Our daughter in law Anne brought this last year for Christmas morning and I fell in love with  it. So here is the recipe.

The original recipe uses a 9 by 13 baking dish and feeds about 10 people.. I cut the recipe in  half since it is only my husband and I and still have leftovers.

8 oz sausage ( I used beef sausage since I don't eat pork)
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups cubed bread
1 to 2  cups sharp shredded cheese
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup green onion thinly sliced
1/2 tomato seeded and diced
2 cups frozen hash browns

butter a casserole dish on all sides and bottom
Brown sausage over medium high heat until no longer pink. Set aside
Mix eggs, milk, mustard and salt and pepper together
Place hash browns on bottom of dish
Cover with a layer of cheese
Layer half of the sausage on top of the cheese.
Next layer half of the cubed bread
Layer on top the mushrooms, onions,  and tomato
Cover with more cheese.
Repeat all layers except hash browns.
Pour the milk egg mixture over all layers and let seep in.

If you are not cooking right away, cover with tin foil and place in the fridge. When ready to cook pull the casserole out of the fridge for an hour to bring the temp down. Preheat oven to 375 and bake for  an hour. If the top browns too fast cover loosely with tin foil.
This is a filling dish. Here is a picture of the casserole. I forgot to take a picture of it before we ate it.





No comments:

Post a Comment