Sunday, March 16, 2014

Beef bolognese

 I am a big fan of spaghetti and making my own noodles and sauce. I have perfected it to my liking. When I was in Capetown recently I had beef bolognese for the first time and I absolutely could not get enough.. My new friend, Ree, and my daughter's mother in law made it for us. She shared the recipe with me but didn't give me all the measurements for the ingredients. So I tried to make it using my judgment and taste buds.



1 lb of ground beef
2 onions finely diced
1 T olive oil
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/3 cup vinegar
2 T brown sugar
2 T tomato paste
1 t paprika
1/4 cup  blackberry  wine
Water
Tsp of flour

spaghetti noodles 


Saute onions in oil with  medium heat in saute pan until soft. Add garlic and saute for one minute.Remove from pan and brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain grease and put meat back in pan.  Mix together  vinegar and flour in a small bowl. Then add tomato paste, brown sugar, and paprika  Add to the beef and stir until blended into meat. Add the wine. You do not have to add the wine, but I thought it was a little too sweet. I feel that the wine opened up all the flavours so that they melded together beautifully. Turn heat down to medium low and cook for 15 to 30 mintues..if it starts to stick to pan add a little water to help it makeit saucier. While that is cooking boil water and cook noodles according to package instructions.
Plate the noodles and ladle the meat sauce over the noodles. You can add freshly grated parmesan cheese over the sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment