Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Strawberry freezer jam

Today I wanted to try to make freezer jam. I bought a bunch of strawberries that were on sale. In the past I have tried making preserves by the canning method and most of the time it fails. I have had one or two successes with getting the strawberries to gel right. I had heard that freezing was much simpler, so I decided to give it a go.
I searched high and lo on pinterest for a good recipe. Here is the recipe I used

 http://comfortablydomestic.com/2011/06/20/easy-strawberry-freezer-jam/

When I went to go look for my pectin, I realized that I had "ball" classic pectin and not instant pectin...so off to the store I went. I came back...washed and hulled the strawberries.





 Dropped them into the food processor and pulsed  5 times and then a few more times until it looked right to me...not pureed, still a little chunky. I transferred the strawberries to a big bowl. I then mixed together 1.5 cups of sugar and  5 T of instant pectin in  a separate bowl. I added this mixture to the strawberries and mixed  until the sugar was dissolved. Then, I continued to mix for 3 minutes. Next, I ladled the jam into plastic and glass containers leaving 3/4 inch head space. I set them out on the table to rest and gel. As I was writing this I realized I had failed to put the lids on, so I put the lids. So, if anyone is following this,  make sure to put the lids on after putting the jam in the jars...Duh...They are still sitting on my table, 2 ready to go into the freezer and one into the refridge...Yum yum...can't wait to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment