Thursday, June 26, 2014

Cracker Barrel Campfire Chicken copycat recipe


Recently we went to St. Pete with my brother Paul. We ate a cracker barrel and had campfire beef for the first time. I absolutely loved it. I wanted to try it for dinner, but didn't have any beef so I substituted chicken. I loved the simplicity of this dinner. It's easy to prepare...wrap it, put it in the oven and let it cook. I like the fact that each person has his own portion in tin foil. The recipe below is enough for 2 people 



2 Chicken breasts
3 Potatoes peeled and chopped up roughly
1 Onion sliced 
4 Garlic cloves
1 tsp each Basil and Oregano
4 carrots peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 Zucchini sliced in 1/4 inch medallions
Salt and Pepper
Spices of your choice

heavy duty tin foil


I tried to follow a recipe online I found but had to substitute some items and add others.

I like to salt water brine my chicken before baking or grilling. I find it makes it much more tender and helps it not to dry out. 

Salt water brine

2 cups of boiling water
2 T salt ( can use more but makes the chicken very salty tasting)
2 bowls
2 cups of ice

Place salt in melt proof bowl and add boiling water. Stir the salt until dissolved. Now place the ice in it to cool the water down. Place the chicken in the cooled water and cover and refrigerate 30 minutes up to 24 hours.  when ready to cook remove chicken from water and pat dry with paper towels. 

Preheat oven to 325. If you have long tin foil, one long piece will do. You want enough to encase everything with no leaking. My tin foil was on the small side, so I ripped off 2 long pieces and layered them on the counter in a cross fashion...one on top of another. I placed the chicken down, then the veggies on top and around it. Then I added the seasonings and herbs. I closed up the interior foil and then wrapped the outer foil around it tightly making sure there were no leaks or holes. I placed it in a roaster pan just in case it leaked. I didn't. Bake or grill until tender. In my oven after 2 hours the veggies were still not as soft as i wanted, so next time I will cook it longer. 

this was the link that I found the recipe. 

http://www.cookingcache.com/poultry/campfirechickendinner.shtml?rdid=rc1



     4 days later I tried it with beef instead of chicken. i bought a chuck roast on sale at Winn Dixie. I  chopped it up into 2 inch pieces. I marinated all day with Dales seasoning and then added it to the tin foil with small red potatoes, carrots, corn on the cob, onion and same spices as above. I cooked it for 3 hours at 350 and it was so tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment