Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Joys Baby shower



Last Friday we had a baby shower for my daughter, Joy. She is having a boy and is due in August. This will be our first grandchild. I wanted to make a dedication gown for the baby, but didn't really want to make a gown for a boy. When I saw this pattern for a boy jumper, I thought this would be perfect. Hey Jessica, I used some of the remnants of your wedding dress for this little outfit. So, even though you were not here, a part of you will be. I did not use the silk duponi. I used the other material we got at Walmart.  The pattern I used was one by Mccalls: 6221. It was not hard to put together, just takes a little more time, because the pattern pieces are so small. Trying to set the sleeves in that tiny armhole took great patience.

Now, for the cake, this is what Joy asked for. I am not used to making a cake that is not frosted. She wanted it to look rustic. The recipe called for edible flowers,but I was a little leary about putting real flowers to eat on the cake.

The cake is an orange almond cake with an orange blossom buttercream frosting.. Below is the recipe I used. I made one error in judgement. Having taken the Wilton cake decorating class, I was taught to use baking strips around the cake to keep the sides from browning too fast. Well, when I looked at the picture the outside was browned and when I pulled the baking strips off and flipped the cake out of the cake pans, the sides were not brown, but blond color. So, next time if I make this cake again, I will not use the baking strips on the outside of the pans. 
Also, I had great difficulty finding orange blossom water..so  my daughter in law, Anne, ordered it for me. Thank you  Anne.
We had a great time at the party. It was very laid back and relaxing. Joy got a lot of great gifts for the baby. Thank you everybody involved. 

For the cake

4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 and ¼ teaspoons salt
¾ cup butter, softened
2 and ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
2 egg whites 3 eggs
½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
1 and ½ cups full fat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon powdered sugar, optional garnish
3 tablespoons sliced almonds, optional garnish
edible flowers, optional garnish



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then lightly grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans. To begin preparing the cake, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl and set it aside.
In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and oil at medium low speed until the mixture is smooth, about 2-3 minutes of mixing. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, orange zest, egg whites, and the eggs and mix until incorporated. Add the orange juice and mix until smooth. Add the flour mixture in three separate additions, alternating with the plain yogurt, until both have been added and the batter just becomes smooth.
Evenly distribute the cake batter between the three pans. Place the pans in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the pans from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans and setting them on a wire rack to cool completely. 
For the Frosting: Orange Blossom Buttercream


1 cup butter
4 and ¼ cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon orange blossom water
To prepare the buttercream, beat together the butter and powdered sugar until smooth, then add the milk, vanilla extract, and orange blossom water and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Once the cake has cooled completely, spread the icing between the cake layers and then sprinkle the top of the cake with the sliced almonds and powdered sugar. Garnish with edible flowers and serve.

Here is the link for the recipe I used with beautiful pictures.
http://www.adventures-in-cooking.com/2014/05/orange-almond-cake-with-orange-blossom.html

No comments:

Post a Comment