Sunday, September 14, 2014

Overnight Blueberry Oatmeal

               My daughter in law, Anne, and daughter Jessica both rave about overnight oatmeal. So I decided to give it a whirl. I was quite impressed. I know there are many flavors you can choose from, but I love blueberries so this is the one I tried.

It was very easy to assemble. Just place all ingredients in a mason jar, mix it up and place in the frigde overnight. If you're on the go in the morning, it is quick to grab it and eat on the road. I like to prepare it for when I know i have a long drive early in the morning and won't have time to make or stop for breakfast. I find that it holds me quite awhile and staves off hunger pains. I drive an hour away to give a voice lesson to a very brave woman in her 70's. I give the lesson for an hour and then proceed to drive back. I usually stop off halfway and shop for a couple of hours and then go home. So, this oatmeal really holds me all this time. I have tried taking yogurt smoothies and fruit but they don't really last in my stomach very long.
So here is my version of the overnight oatmeal.

1/3 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats ( steel cut even better)
1/3 cup homemade yogurt
1/3 cup rice milk or any other kind you have
1 t chia seeds
1 t LSA ( see notes below)
1/3 cup blueberries
 Place oats, yogurt, milk, chia seeds, lsa into a small mason jar. Tighten lid on and shake ingredients until  mixed well. Remove lid and add blueberries or whatever fruit you would like to add. Place lid back on and set in fridge overnight. In the morning grab and go. Don't forget to bring a spoon and napkin.


LSA
 (Linseed-Sunflower-Almond

    1 cup raw linseed / flax seed
    2/3 cup raw sunflower seeds (hulled)
    1/3 cup raw almonds (shelled)
 
Place flax seeds first, then sunflower seeds, then almonds in a blender or a nutribullet. Use a low setting and blend or grind  until mixed and flour like. Place in airtight container until ready to use. You can add to cereals, smoothies, salads...etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment