Monday, January 19, 2015

diy garlic infused oil

       

A couple of months ago my husband and I went to Georgia to see our son, Joshua and his wife Anne. While we were there we went to the town Helen. It was a quaint little German  town with lots of interesting stores. There was one store there that I had never seen before called the Olive  Oil Company. I was impressed with all the different flavors of olive oils and vinegars. We ended up trying a bazillion flavors and bought a gift pack with several different flavors. I didn't know we had one close to us in Mount Dora. What a surprise.
              I love the garlic oil and wanted to try my hand at making my own garlic oil.

Here is the recipe and link to it that I used.

http://www.justputzing.com/2011/12/diy-infused-olive-oils.html


Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
  • ½ to ¾ cup whole, peeled garlic cloves * 
  • Juice from ¼ lime 
  • 1 to 2 cups extra virgin olive oil 
  • 1 4-oz glass bottle with cork 


To make the garlic-infused olive oil:
  1. Put the cloves in a bowl with the lime juice. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes. 
  2. Preheat oven to 325 F. 
  3. Reserving the juice for later, drain the lime juice from the cloves. 
  4. Spread out the garlic cloves in one layer in a small baking dish. 
  5. Pour enough olive oil over the garlic so that the cloves are completely immersed. 
  6. Roast in a hot oven for 30-45 minutes. 
  7. Remove from the oven and let cool. Cloves will darken as they cool. Scoop the cloves from the oil into a bowl using a slotted spoon. 
  8. Pour the reserved lime juice over the cloves with ½ cup your oil and stir to combine. 
  9. Pack garlic cloves in an airtight container. Pour enough of the oil over the roasted cloves to cover. Refrigerate until you need to use roasted garlic in other recipes. (I like it smeared on bread) 
  10. Strain the remaining oil into your (clean, sterilized) glass bottle and use as garlic infused olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment