Saturday, June 6, 2015

Carrot cake

Carrot cake

4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinamon
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans

  • Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 3   6" pans. You can also use a 9 x 13 pan. I wanted the cake to be small so I used the 6" pans.
  • In  large bowl or mixer, beat together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla
  • Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes. Do the toothpick test in center of cake to check for doneness.
  • Let cool 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.

Cream cheese frosting

1 lb confectioners sugar sifted
8 oz cream cheese softened
3/4 c butter softened
1 t vanilla

Beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed in mixer  until smooth.
Add 1 lb confectioners sugar and vanilla to cream cheese mix. I add the sugar one cup at a time so that it doesn't spray the powder everywhere.

After cakes have cooled and have been leveled, spread frosting on top of first layer of cake. Place second layer of cake on  top and frost again. I had made 3 layers but found that 3 was too much, so I only made the cake 2 layers as my layers were thick. I then spread frosting on just the top, not the sides. There have been times when I do the whole cake, but my  husband didn't want so much frosting. As it turns out the way I did it was just the right about of frosting, because the frosting is really sweet.  On top of the frosting I placed pecans in a circular spiral all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment