Saturday, June 6, 2015

Sprouting

         
Broccoli sprouts

   I have wanted to try sprouting again. I use to do alfalpha sprouts on and off. I have heard a lot lately about broccoli sprouts. I tried doing them once a long time ago and didn't like the taste. I heard somebody on the radio just recently explaining that broccoli sprouts taste like radishes, so I decided to try again with a new batch of seeds.
            I placed a 1/4 cup of seeds in a clean quart sized mason jar. I covered the seeds with clean filtered water and let them sit overnight.
              Next morning I drained the water out of the mason jar leaving the seeds in the  jar. I placed a mesh top over the mason jar and screwed on a mason ring. I flipped it upside down and sat it an angle so it could drain for 12 hours away from sunlight. At night before bed, I rinsed, drained and flipped again and let it sit undisturbed until morning. I repeated the same process for the next 6 days. By the third day little sprouts began showing up. By the 6th day...they were longer and ready to harvest.
             I got a large bowl of water ready and put the sprouts in the water. I swirled them around until the seeds collected on the sides of the bowl. I then used a spoon to gather the seeds to throw away. I drained the water again and transferred the seeds to a clean mason jar. I let them dry in sunlight which helped them turn green. I then put a regular lid on the mason jar and placed them in the fridge, They are quite tasty and tangy in salads.
Lentil sprouts

          I also tried sprouting  lentils because my cholesterol is very high and I read that lentils can help bring your numbers down. I used a cup of lentils to begin with and it produced way too much sprouts for me. I used a half gallon mason jar and the whole jar was crammed with sprouts by the time i finished sprouting. Next time I will only use a 1/4 cup lentils. You sprout the lentils just like the broccoli sprouts. Once they are finished sprouting they are delicious on salads. They produce a little tail...not as long as alfalpha sprouts. They are crunchy...eating the lentils and the little sprouts.
   Because we had an abundance of the sprouts I tried making lentil burgers with them. I dehydrated them with some other ingredients. I personally did not like the way they taste so I will try other recipes until i find one I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment